This recipe is suitable for young children as it has very little spice in it.
1 cup basmati rice
1tbs groundnut oil
1tsp cumin seeds.
1 large clove garlic crushed
1/2 inch ginger grated
1 medium onion chopped into small pieces
1 stick cinnamon
10/15 closed cap mushrooms
3 cups water
- Wash the basmati rice until water comes out clean. Soak rice in cold water for half an hour
Warm the oil in a pan over medium heat
- Add the cumin seeds and wait for them to sizzle then throw in the onion and let it cook until caramelised.
- Add ginger, garlic and cinnamon stick. Cook for half a minute.
- Add rice and make sure it is fully coated with onion/oil mix
- Add salt and tumeric and stir well
- Add mushrooms and cook for about 2 minutes continually stirring so rice does not stick to the pan.
- Add the water. Bring to the boil and then simmer until water is absorbed. Check the rice is fully cooked, if not then add a bit more water and simmer.