Oooh I do like to have a nibble and since chocolate is off my list right now, I’m turning to nuts.
Hubby likes spicy nuts and I’ve been promising for ages to make him some. So today I had a go and you know what, they were so YUM, I may have to hide them for him and hoard them all for myself like a little demented squirrel.
The quantities of spice I used give a nice buzzy spice to the mix but if you like to blow up your mouth, then double the amount of chili powder and cayenne pepper. Also, it would be great with some red skin peanuts and almonds both of which I have but both of which I forgot!!
- 100g raw whole cashews
- 50g raw brazil nuts
- up to 2 tbs olive oil or a lighter flavoured oil like sunflower if you prefer
- 1/2tsp chili powder
- 1/2tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2tsp sugar
- 1/2tst black pepper
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees (or 170 for fan oven)
- Put your nuts on a baking sheet and put in the oven until they go golden – mine took about 7 minutes
- While the nuts are roasting put 1tbs of the oil in a large bowl and add the sugar and spices.
- When the nuts are roasted take them out and let them cool for a minute or so. Then added to the spiced oil and stir to make sure they are full coated. At this stage, you can add more oil if you need.
- Place the oil nuts back on the baking sheet and return to the oven for 2/3 minutes.
- Take out, let them cool down and serve with a huge pint of cold cold beer.